Welcome to The Heart Institute — New York’s Center for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
The Heart Institute is proud to be one of the nation’s foremost cardiac care centers located in Staten Island, New York at Staten Island University Hospital (North Shore-LIJ Health System). A renowned pioneer in the field of minimally invasive bypass surgery and angioplasties, The Heart Institute has elevated the standard of cardiac care for its local community, throughout the tri-state area and across the nation. With an uncompromising team of distinguished cardiac specialists and dedicated healthcare professionals, The Heart Institute has proudly changed the lives of so many heart patients and advanced the field of cardiac surgery as a whole.
The Heart Institute provides the full breadth of cutting-edge techniques and procedures across a range of cardiac services. Patients turn to The Heart Institute for the most progressive cardiac diagnostics, treatment, post-surgical outpatient care and cardiac prevention programs. Among the many procedures performed at The Heart Institute are groundbreaking minimally invasive coronary bypass operations, heart valve repair/replacements, angioplasties, cardiac catheterizations, as well as implantation of cardiac assist devices.
Staten Island University Hospital
Our prestigious team is led by Medical Director and renowned cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Joseph McGinn — pioneer of the cutting-edge bypass technique, MICS CABG.
Since opening our doors in 2005, The Heart Institute is proud to have had many “firsts” and made extensive strides in the field of cardiac surgery, including:
- Pioneered, perfected and performed the first MICS CABG — pronounced “mix cabbage” and short for minimally invasive cardiac surgery/coronary artery bypass grafting
- Performs more MICS CABG procedures than any other hospital
- Home to the first and only dedicated MICS CABG training program on the east coast of the U.S.
- Performed the world’s first minimally invasive triple bypass and minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- The first hospital in the tri-state area to perform cryoballoon ablation —which eliminates the need for dangerous chemicals and extreme heat during catheter ablation — and the only hospital on Staten Island to perform the procedure