Our Nurse Navigator program — personalized guidance throughout the cardiac surgery process
Undergoing any major surgical procedure can be a stressful time for both patients and their families. Our Nurse Navigator program gives you personalized, one-on-one guidance from Registered Nurse and Cardiothoracic Program Manager, Nancy Fontana. As patient educator, advocate and care coordinator, Ms. Fontana’s goal is to ensure the cardiac surgery process goes as smoothly as it possibly can.
Before surgery our Nurse Navigator works with team members to help coordinate and/or oversee:
- All paperwork
- Scheduling of diagnostic studies/surgery
- Patient and family needs with regard to transportation, hotel stays and meals
- Distribution of educational materials and instructions regarding surgery and patient care
During the hospital stay she works with team members to help coordinate and/or oversee:
- Communication with patient and family — preoperatively and during surgery — to keep them up-to-date on the process and patient progress
- Patient visitation
- Patient discharge instructions, including issuing the Discharge DVD and scheduling follow up appointments.
After surgery she works with team members to help coordinate and/or oversee:
- Preparation and distribution of digital copies of patient records
- Communication with patient or family to answer questions and provide solutions
- Scheduling of doctor appointments, if needed
- Fulfillment of forms or letters pertaining to the patient’s disability
For more information on our Nurse Navigator program or to contact Nancy Fontana directly, please call 718-226-1603 or email.